Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

HP Omnibook 2000cs, Win98SE, Video corruption problem

Ok guys I need help and fast. I got this laptop from a friend. It is a HP omnibook 2000cs, it comes with a pentium 166 mmx, 80 megs ram, 1.93 gig HD, 16 bit sound, 56k megahertz 3com pc-card modem, 20x toshiba cd-rom, Chips and Technologies 65554 pci video. Well the computer came to me running win98se, I decided to format the HD and reinstall win98se. after that I also found the most recent drivers for the 65554 pci video card. After installing the drivers I noticed that I started getting graphics corruption of different kinds, when the monitor would shut off and then I would move the mouse to reactivate the entire desktop was tyedyed in rainbow colors. Also I frequently get thin pink or light green vertical lines all across the screen. Also if I go in the setup utility (or bios) all the text is corrupted and unreadable (almost looks like german) even when i reboot the reboot screen with the processor type ram etc is sometimes messed up either with "'s all over the screen or the words on the screen are mispelled. I removed the new vid drivers and even went so far as to format and reinstall win98se but problem still exists. I did notice that if I firmly tap on both sides of the monitor some or all of the corruption goes away, sometimes. I also ran the HP diagnostic disk and it says all hardware is fine. Please help me out here, Im at my wits end. I really need the laptop to work. Also I did hook up an external monitor and the corruption shows up there as well. Now as a side note I also noticed that it takes about 20 mins for the problems to start showing themselves (heat related?) and also if I tap the lcd screen on both sides firmly the lines and corruption go away immediatly (loose lcd connection?) Unfortunaty I have never taken a laptop apart so I am kind of leary about trying to see if the connection is loose.

------------------

***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***