Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

Install WinME with 2K Server already on the system...

I have 2K server installed. I want to install ME, because I it was free, and I want to see if my vid.card looks better in ME. I will install to C:, the same as 2K [i don't have room right now to install somewhere else].

Problem: When I try to install ME, it says, "There is already an OS installed, please exit setup. Otherwise, your config.sys and autoexec.bat will be overwritten."

I have checked, and there is nothing in either of those files. If ME puts something there, will 2K get upset? Also, will ME overwrite things like my current I.E. installation? Will my setting be saved? Etc, etc.

Thanks for any assistance,

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====                 =====GimpBox=====Home built system:                Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard            AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]     Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                   40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]             500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM               3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM               3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video            Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet          pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI            [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd       2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]    NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy]   HP A4331D 20" Monitor             Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]         ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Server [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]         Norton AntiVirus 2000             Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

bad idea put it on a separate partition

IE would certianly be overwritten

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 (allways reliable) / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 (cool but buggy) / Windows Millennium Final (waste of disk space)

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

actually, on the one box i have a 5gb c: and a 1.5gb d:

i've installed win2k on the fat32 c: first and then booted with the win98 cd and installed winme on the d:, win2k made the changes to the boot.ini and it works fine.

But i DO advise installing winme first.

Separate partitions !!!!! You will be bummed. I had driver problems out the ying-yang. Finally broke down and got another small hard drive. Works much better now. My vid used to look better in winme but nvidias win2k drivers have finally caught up and I see no difference now..

Good luck

SplEEb