Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcomo

Memory cannot be "read" / "written"

I have been reading through the newsgroups

and it seems that many Windows 2000 users share the same problem as me. Occasionally,

(more than less), a message pops up on the screen telling me that the memory could not be read or written.

I found out what causes this. Windows 2000 thinks that it can use these memory addresses when it really can't. It's a Windows 2000 bug that needs to be fixed.

I checked on the release notes for the soon-to-be-released Service Pack 2 and it doesn't look like this bug is in the works.

Does anyone have a way to let MS know that this is a _major_ problem??

Thanks Much!

MS claimed that the bug was fixed with SP1, and many people say that it is now a problem with the application being badly programmed, as oppose to a bug in the OS.

I get this error on a fairly regular basis on my Windows 2000 machine at home, and have done since about Christmas.

I've had it once or twice on my work Windows 2000 machine, but strangely enough I get it regularly on a Windows Nt 4 Workstation at work.

None of the machines have any applications in common really (just the usual utilities like WinZip, Acrobat Reader and so-on).

This kind of leads to me to thinking that the problem is with an update that MS have supplied from the Windows Update site.

You're right in saying that it should have been fixed in SP1, but I have reapplied SP1 and have checked that all the fixes I have downloaded are installed properly. The problem still happens though.

i think you might be right about it being an update bug, i never had the problem until a short while ago, now there are certain programs that refuse to run (eg. uptime 2001) and others that eventually crash with the same error (getright 4.5b3), i'll even get it occasionally with explorer. i remember installing a batch of updates a while back but i've deleted the uninstall files and i can't remember which one's they were (something recent tho, i install updates pretty much as soon as they come out)

I don't know if it is necessarily a problem

with the application since there are quite

a few apps that no longer run. I hope that

someone, someday will find out what caused

this b_tch of a bug and fix it!!

If it was something that was downloaded from

the update site, I think that MS is responsible to fix it... What do you think??

I'm with you dcomo. If MS broke it, they should fix it, but it's probably one of those bugs that's difficult to track down.

There doesn't seem to be any consistant reason for it, and some mods for HalfLife give the error and some don't. This would say that the HL engine itself isn't responsible, but maybe the mod authors are.

Maybe they're doing something that is perfectly valid, but the OS throws a fit and crashes.

Who knows?