Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Igor

How to Migrate user account?

If I have 2 STAND Alone computer running Windows NT 4.0 Server and I wanna Migrate user accounts from one computer to another WITHOUT re-creating it.... how can I do it?

[This message has been edited by Igor (edited 06 February 2001).]

Are they networked together?? If they are then you can simply copy the user account from one machine to the other. I believe it is in Windows\System\Profiles\*user*

If you go there, copy the folder for the user you want to migrate, then go to network neighborhood, find your other machine and paste that folder in a folder on the hard drive. Then, log off of the machine that just got the new profile folder and log back on to the LOCAL computer, not the domain, as administrator. Then find the folder that you copied over from the other machine and copy it again...only...this time you want to paste it in the Windows\System\Profiles\*user that you want to be overwritten by other profile*

Then, log off of administrator and log back in under your username on the domain.

Hope you understood all that....good luck.

Oh yeah....if they aren't networked, then just copy the folder on zip disk, or you will have to ftp it to a site that both comps can get to, or something along those lines. Either way, once you get the folder over, it is the same process...

[This message has been edited by HarU (edited 07 February 2001).]

Will that work? It doesn't sound right [if only b/c there is not usually a 'Windows' folder on an NT box].

I do want to know if there is an answer for this type of thing though, as I'm planning a reinstall, and would like to keep as many settings as possible.

Is there anyway to export a profile - as if it was becoming a network profile - then import it again to a new machine? [Like ZIP it up then extract it under the new install?]

-bZj

If it is not windows....then it is WINNT. It's one of those folders.....i just cant remember right now. Ive converted all my NT machines at work to win2k so its been a while since ive worked with NT 4.0. But, it will work....i deal with this **** all day. smile

good luck...

Actually....i just double checked for ya'....the exact location for your profiles on a Winnt 4.0 box is

\Winnt\Profiles\*users*

hope this helps..

[This message has been edited by HarU (edited 12 February 2001).]

Did he mean user profiles or user accounts (as in security)?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

hmmmm, good question, but i don't know why he would want to transfer security accounts. Its pretty quick and painless to add a user.

He said he didn't want to lose all his settings, so im guessing he means like his start menu, his desktop, favorites, and cookies and such. Thats just my guess. What exactly did you mean Igor?

Good point though clutch. smile

Yeah, his terminology was a little confusing. I have always reffered to accounts as an object (and that is how I hear of them as well), like in User Manager or Exchange Console. Profiles have been settings and files that can be based on preferences of the user or staff. Oh well.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch