Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1/2 Baked

How to make a repair disk?

I've looked all over, and I dont see anywhere to make one. I've had constant bootup errors (I've installed 2k 4 times this week!) saying omthing about a system file is corrupt or missing and to insert my repair disk and try to repair it. I dont have one. So I go thru all four install disks and get to the option to repair, it won't.

I have a Abit KT7 Raid, will not having the drivers for my Raid controller make it do that? It happends at odd times too. I worked fine when I left for work yesterday, noone else was on it. I came home and booted up, and got that error. Very annoying.

Hi,

This sounds like the SYSTEM hive of your registry is getting whacked as you shut the machine down. There are known issues with fast processors killing Windows 2000 while the controller is still trying to write the hive data back to the drive.

Since I only work with slow systems, I don't know exactly where you'll find the patch, but I think it's hanging out at Microsoft, or perhaps Intel, somewhere. I've heard, but cannot confirm personally, that the patch just slows the shutdown process to the point where the hive doesn't get corrupted.

Hope someone who actually knows about this will jump in here to help you.

Regards,

Jim

Ooops! Forgot to answer your first question. Create an ERD by starting NTBACKUP from the Start | Run dialog. There's a "Emergency Repair Disk" button on the "Welcome" tab of the main program window. When you creae the disk, check the option to have Windows back up your registry to the repair directory.

Doing a repair ain't the ticket, though. You should be able to get W2K to run for you without farkling itself. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Please post back with developments.

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 06 February 2001).]

Do you know of any way of creating a rescue disk set and burning it to a bootable cd?? I absolutely hate floppies and would very much like to have the full rescue available via bootable cd. TIA

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 320 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

All In Wonder Radeon 32MB

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Shrink,

Sorry, but I've never considered doing that. I'm sure it's possible. You might do a search on the forum using the term "bootable CD" to see what turns up. Obviously you could create a bootable CD and place the standard ERD files on it, and you could go one better by actually copying all of the registry hives to the CD, too. But by the time you go this far, you're probably expending enough time and effort to just make "ghosting" a more viable alternative.

1/2 Baked,

I hope to hear that you've found the patch and that things are looking up.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I normally use Ghost but I need a larger hd to hold the ghosted ntfs partition <g>. I have found that Ghost's ability to burn to and read from my burner (Ricoh 7060a) is not terribly reliable, otherwise I would just be doing that. I will investigate how to transfer the rescue disks to cd but had hoped that someone else had already done it:-)

Shrink

Shrink,

Yeah, sorry I'm no help. I'm not too adventurous these days. I will keep an eye open, though, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Regards,

Jim

I got my repair disk now, thanks! Havent gotten that error yet to try it either. Still havent found that patch you spoke of though.

Thanks again!

Hi,

I haven't found the danged patch, either. I spent a while looking for it last night.

I did find a reference at

http://www.ntfaq.com/

to something called ERD Commander from SysInternals. There were directions at ntfaq for creating a bootable CD with ERD Commander on it. But the utility is hideously expensive for a single user - $349! (It's actually a tool intended for use by sysadmins, I guess.)

Hope your system is okay.

Regards,

Jim

Ok. I'm confused. Can you tell me exactly what your problems are and what you need?

Why don't you just boot off of the CD and insert your RAID drivers and then do a repair? Why are you focusing on creating a repair disk when you should be focusing on fixing WHY you need to creat a repair disk for a problem that you shouldn't have?