Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CJB

CD writing error

I've got a dual boot between Windows XP and Mandrake 9.2.

Under Windows, I can use my CD Writer under Windows using Nero 5.5 without any problem but I just tried using it for the first time with Mandrake and got the error message below.

My writer is an Acer 1610A 16x10x40

I've only been using Linux a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this. I don't know how to do the recommended solution ;(

Thanks.

Quote:
No support for ATAPI with cdrdao

You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy sources since there is at least one not configured to use SCSI emulation and your system does not support ATAPI with cdrdao.

Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI emulation) for all writer devices. This way you won't have any problems.

Hello!

This is one of my gripes with Mandrake 9.2 and K3b, which I assume you are trying to use? Let us know if this is the case, that you are using K3b as the CD burner.

Don get me wrong. K3b is the best around, but needs some tweaking in your system.

For a new user, K3b should ne set up to run correctly. Obviously it is not.

There may be two ways of fixing the issue. I just can´t remember which one I tried in my system.

But before I go into detail, are you using K3b? If so, we will try the easier solution possibility first.

I newer burned CDs with ATAPI in redhad, so i dont know if it would worked...

But id did with scsi emulation by passing hda=ide-scsi to kernel.

You can add it to /boot/grub/grub.conf after the kernel line like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20 ro root=LABEL=/ hda=ide-scsi

CD burner will now work much better width scsi-emulation. Even burning DVD:s goes just fine width K3b (if your burner supports it ofcourse) smile

Thanks sulake. I am using lilo, but let´s remember this person is new to linux, so I thought that I would go slow.

If he is using grub, this is the answer.

With Grub, you don´t have to write the .conf file to the boot sector, as you do with lilo?

Thanks for the response.

The software is K3B as you correctly assumed and the boot up is LILO.

Just as a matter of interest - what is the difference between LILO and Grub? I went with LILO because that was the default. I installed Fedora Core 1 on an older machine just for experimenting with a different distro - the default on that was Grub.

What Sulake said is what I did to get K3B working also. After editing my /boot/grub/grub.conf file, it works perfectly. I wish I could tell you how to do it with Lilo.. frown

I think I can.

In Lilo, which is found in /etc/lilo.conf, you will see a little different syntax.

Maybe I can learn something from this abour Mandrake also. I could never find a konqueror in superuser mode.

Anyway, as root, get into lilo. You will probably see something like the following, as the first boot paragraph entry;

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux or mandrake (can´t remember what Mandrake uses)

root=/dev/hdaX (x will equal the root partition of Mandrake.

read-only

The next line may or may not have an append line. If I remember correctly, there may be one. If not add the following;

append=¨hdc=ide-scsi¨ (don´t forget the quotations on each end).

If it does, you will notice that each argument has a space between it and the next one. add the following, making sure that there is a space between this argument and the prior one and the next.

hdc=ide-scsi

So, if there is an append entry, add the above so it looks something like this;

append="acpi=off hdc=ide-scsi"

Again a space before this argument and the next, if there is one.

It should then look something like this;

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux or mandrake (can´t remember what Mandrake uses)

root=/dev/hdaX (x will equal the root partition of Mandrake.

read-only

append=¨hdc=ide-scsi¨

Save the file.

As root user in a konsole, type lilo, then hit the enter key.

This will save the new entry to the boot sector.

If you make a mistake, when you run lilo, it will tell you about a syntax error. If this happens, look back at the lilo.conf file and make sure that you entered it correctly, re-run lilo as root user. If it returns something like;

adding Mandrake

windows...

then returns to a prompt, with no errors you are all set.

If you get a permissions error, or can write to lilo.conf (save it) after making the change, let us know and we can walk you through it.