Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sulake

Gentoo 2CD LiveCD installation.

When installing Gentoo from LiveCD, after a few (many) hours of messing up the system, whole thing stops to installing Grub. Even compiling kernel goes fine, but grub dont work:

#grub

**blaa blaa, dont remember**

*- Illegal function **

#grub-install /dev/hde (or '(fd0)' )

Probing disks..blaa .. BIOS...

/dev/ROOT does not have any corresponding filesystem (or blockdevice)

When typing #exit to go back to livecd mode, grub works from CD, but still dont seem to find any disk's.

What am i doing wrong here?

I mounted and chroot'ed everything from MandrakeCDlinux, same thing..

My hard drives are behind HPT370, but i started liveCD vidth "gentoo doataraid" .. no affect.. Should i change back to redhat 9 ???

Did you remember to set your /etc/fstab correctly? Sounds like you didn't comment out the examples or you didn't change them.

I only changed "what i have" [maxtor] /hde1.5.6.7=windows stuff

hdg7: /boot

hdg8: /home

hdg9: swap

hdg10: /

/etc/fstab

/dev/hdg7 /boot reiserfs notail,noauto

/dev/hdg8 /home reiserfs ...

/dev/hdg9 none swap ...

/dev/hdg10 / reiserfs ...

frown New problem: I didnt do #modprobe hptraid at first... but now when i do:

hptraid.o: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

My motherboard is Abit kt7RAID and it has HPT370 raid controller, to what HDDs are attached. I tried change from bios [PNP OS: YES ->NO] no effect.. NO I'm not gonna go back to redhat, i'm so close... if.. or... perhaps...

No, don't go back... don't do it.

I actually had to install Gentoo from a Knoppix CD because the 1.4 LiveCD didn't find my promise PDC20276 controller correctly.

You might wish to try the gentoo-dev-sources kernel, which is actually kernel 2.6.1. You can compile in support for your controller and that problem will magically go away!

Are you compiling GRUB yourself or using a binary package? If it's the latter are you sure the CDs you're using have compiled it for your Athlon or at the very least, basic i686 or x86?

edit: Also, when you compiled the kernel did you explictly enable support for your HighPoint RAID controller in the config?

make menuconfig didn't work, it just hanged when it tried to start the actual script. So i had to make config.

And now, isn't it so, that what i included to the kernel i compiled, does NOT affect the state of the system, because it's running the kernel and modules that are in LiveCD - And i can not boot the new kernel, cause i can't install grub? ;( Or does chroot allso change the whole kernel+modules in flight? (i propably misunderstud something)

My comp. is Duron 800Mhz, 512Mt, nVidia GF2MX400/Twinwiev VIVO GoldenSample, i think that LiveCD package for athlon-xp is right for me?

Anyway, i'll try Knoppix next and hope the modules work..

(Mandrake [whatewer] bootableCDsystem made no difference, same errors width it)

i recomend installing with knoppix over the x86 live cd's (but that's just what i prefer)

i screwed up my install with fdisk so right now i'm doing a stage-1 install with knoppix because setting up a dial-up connection is ALOT easier (KPPP) also you have fully functional system while you install so you can still check your email, do your homework play a few kde games while your systems compiles (which is VERY long in my case with dial-up)

it also helps to be able to see a konsole window and the install documentation side by side

Installing from knoppix was ok. But still the same problem, GRUB do not work. It can not find my disk's that are behind HighPoint HPT370. In GLiveCD modprobe ataraid:ok modprobe hptraid :NOT ok, no such device.

So i give up, and decided to try [size:18]TA-Linux[/color] that is kind of same like Gentoo. Same basic idea. TA-Linux installation cd recocnised my HPT370 at startup, and loaded necessary modules. But it didn't install lilo. (it sed it did, but now i'm in *%¤*¤ windows)

Next SLACKWARE. Hope it supports HighPoint chip's...

what i'm useing knoppix for is installing gentoo, i decided that i would make a temporary install of knoppix on my harddrive and gave it a 2.8 GB LVM partition which i can easily swipe when i'm done installing gentoo.

speaking of which does anyone know how to setup grub in knoppix???? or should i just install grub through chrooted gentoo base install and set it up to boo tknoppix that way, them when i'm done i can add the gentoo entries, does anyone know if that would work?