Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
giskard

File Manager and Win2k

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to use the old file manager in Windows 2000? Failing that, are there any good alternatives? I want to be able to rename multiple files and i don't think it can be done with windows explorer.

Cheers,

Giskard

Hi,

You can get MultiRen (a ZDNet / PCMag freeware utility). It places a "Multiple Rename" entry in the explorer right-click context menu. To use it, you just select the files you want to rename, right-click on one of them, then use the dialog to accomplish the renaming.

The utility was published in 1998, so you'll have to search the ZDNet archives for it. Or, I'll be glad to email it to you if you can't find a safe place to download it.

Regards,

Jim

Aargh! Double-posted again!

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 09 November 2000).]

Start/run/cmd

cls

cd \winnt

ren *.exe *.com

ren *.bat *.exe

ren s*.* teehee

laugh

*DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

Hey, DosFreak, I agree. But it sounds as though Giskard is looking for the GUI way. One nice thing about MultiRen is that you can highlight multiple files which do NOT have similarities in their names and change them so that they meet a template. Not something that's needed by everyone, but I find it useful.

Regards,

Jim

Cheers guys.

Jim, thanks for the tip. I'll have a dig around. If i cant find it i'll mail you.

Hey DosFreak(aka murc forums?) Thats how i've been doing it up till now - but i'm a crap typist, so a warm fuzzy magic mouse click would be pretty groovy.

ciao

Giskard