Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spanish_diamond

FEDORA and Dell c800 GUI display "not"

smile

I have just recently discovered Linux<< 8)

Yes, Yes it has been a battle to get rid off WinBlows< but I finally did it< I downloaded Fedora <pepz feedbk was that it's great if you are a newbaby penguin>

Here is my dilema: I have a Dell Latitude- c800 and thru the loading process Fedora does offer the monitor for it< but when the install was complete it was unable display in GUI< error is the "X Server" I am able to work on console< but i'd sure be nice to get the GUI envmt. I am currently running from CD with KNOPPIX but have the Fedora installed on the HD.

Gracias *(thanx*) in advance for any instructs or directions to links< step by step instructions would not be taken in any way shape or form as insulting * but greatly appreciated**

Lina wink

You know, I'm not sure what Fedora is calling these utilities now, but under rehat 8 and 9 you would run as root:

redhat-config-xfree86

to configure X. See if that works. If not, maybe a Fedora user can tell us what the command is to configure X.

Quote:
You know, I'm not sure what Fedora is calling these utilities now, but under rehat 8 and 9 you would run as root:

redhat-config-xfree86

to configure X. See if that works. If not, maybe a Fedora user can tell us what the command is to configure X.

frown
Well, went and got the RH9 and installed it, but still a "No Go" on the GUI< its still not picking up my monitor on this Dell c800 and error msg is still "unable to start .Xserver" < I did find a site on Xfree86 to dwnld a tar file (.pub/XFree86/4.3.0 /source that has what i need, **per the trouble shooting guide < the prob is that i cannot get it to the floppy, for some reason knoppix wont allow me to open the /dev/mnt utility< <and saving it to /tmp or any other dir when I reboot without Knoppix it dissapears to the unkown> how can I save this file so that it stays in the hard drive so that when I reboot with RH9 i can access it??
Thanx in advance<
Lina smile
ohhh< I did try to ftp from RH9 cmd line but it is unable to resolve name as typed in the http written out form< how can I view the actuall #ip so that I may use it in the RH9 cmd line ;(
Thanx again<
smile

Not many replies to this posting of yours.

I can tell you, it is a pretty hardcore problem to come up against if you have no linux or unix experience if you can't get your GUI started.

Are you starting to use linux on a portable computer ?

You'd be better off starting on a desktop computer, as the portables are sometimes tricky.

The key to fixing your problem will be by taking a look at what errors you are getting when your x-server is starting.

The x-server log file is in var/log and it is called XFree86.log or something.

A new file is created every time you start x, so the different files you see refer to different attempts you made to start x.

The other thing is you are quite unlucky not to be able to start X. I'd suggest looking at the technical information for the monitor you are trying to use and find out what the horizontal and vertical refresh rates are and plug them into your XFree86 file.

I just took a look on the web on google using the search term dell latitude c800 and it threw up a whole host of linux-related pages, which all say they used out of the box settings for the display with no problems.

for example http://www.csun.edu/ws/cgu/linux-dell-c800.html says the following:

Internal LCD Display:

Auto-detects ATI Rage 128 Mobility M4 chipset with 32 MB of video RAM. Can use 16 bits/pixel at 1600x1200 with anti-aliased fonts. No changes to the default XFree configuration are necessary.

cheers and if I were you, i'd install on a desktop pc until you get the hang of it.

Here's a copy of my XF86config file from my Fedora Core 1 install:

<snip>

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "Default Layout"

Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0

InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"

InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

Section "Files"

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

FontPath "unix/:7100"

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe"

Load "extmod"

Load "fbdevhw"

Load "glx"

Load "record"

Load "freetype"

Load "type1"

Load "dri"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard0"

Driver "keyboard"

Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "us"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "PS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "DevInputMice"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Monitor0"

VendorName "Monitor Vendor"

ModelName "Dell 1600x1200 Laptop Display Panel"

HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0

VertRefresh 59.0 - 85.0

Option "dpms"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "Videocard0"

Driver "radeon"

VendorName "Videocard vendor"

BoardName "ATI Radeon Mobility M9"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Screen0"

Device "Videocard0"

Monitor "Monitor0"

DefaultDepth 16

SubSection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "DRI"

Group 0

Mode 0666

EndSection

</snip>

Hey -

I've got the same problem on a dell 600m....i can get to a console, but when I try to access the GUI (using startx, gdm, kdm) the screen goes black, and there is some flicker from the hard drive light, but no go.....

help? anybody?

Don't know about Fedora but I found that some installers will set a generic

resolution which is higher than some monitors can handle. If the resolution

is set higher than your monitor is capable of the GUI shuts down on some distros

and reverts to consol.

I just upgraded from RH9 to Fedora so it kept my RH9 settings but a new install

of Fedora may be different.

Check resolution and make sure it's set to one your monitor supports.

Looks like you got a good variety of default resolutions there glenthorne. It should have found one that would work for it. Hmm... ;(

hi

i was wondering if know wat graphics card is compatible with Fedora Core2 , my X windows server is not starting and i dont have a GUI..please get back tome

thanks

harish

My G-Force 256 works very nicely with Fedora Core 1 and 2.

Core one uses XFree86 and Core two uses X.org.

With XFree86, you could go to Nvidia, download the latest modules and change your /etc/X11/XF86Config to reflect "nvidia" rather than the standard "nv" drivers.

I am totally ignorant of X.org and what/how/if it is similarly needed to update modules for Xorg, or what. If anyone knows, or can sort this out, please post.