Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xophEr

Problem installing DSL-modem - but maybe you can help me :)

Yes, my first post wink

Well, let's start with the fact that I'm really new to linux, so try to understand my ignorance. smile

This is the DSL-modem I've got: Telewell TW-EA 100B version 2

I'm running Fedora Core 1.

On the homepage (www.telewell.com) they have linux-drivers for both Redhat 8.0 and 9.0. I've tried to install them, but Fedora has a newer kernel, and I suppose that's the "problem". So how can I update the drivers? To support the kernel-version that is in Fedora Core 1.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS. If any of you get's really excited and want's to modify them youselves here is a direct link: http://www.easytel.fi/a/linux/Linux_usb.zip (But If possible a walkthrough of the process would be nice too. smile

I tried to look at theTelewell site and could not locate a page for anything other than Windows and Mac drivers. Are there "source" packages or rpms on the driver page? Can you give us a link to the page where you found the .zip file?

After looking at this page, and, if I'm understanding correctly, these folks make drivers that will work with your Telewell as shown on this page. Read through this site yourself though.. smile

Well, I couldn't find any linux-drivers on the english version of the site either.. dunno why they won't have them there.

Here is a link to the finnish site though http://www.easytel.fi/tw-ea100b_2_ajurit_linux.htm

And that ECI-Adsl driver says it supports Telewell TW-EA100, but when I scroll down I find "Telewell TW-EA100B" and it says there it's not supported..

I don't know what's the difference between these but there must be something right? :P Thanks for the reply anyway, hope you can find out more..

Extract Linux_usb.zip to the dir:

\usr\tmp

-Plug in the TW-EA100B USB-device to the USB-port

-Execute the commands below in the console (as root)

in the dir: \urs\tmp

# rpm -ivh TW-EA100B_2-REDHAT-9.0.i386.rpm

(REDHAT 9.0) (For Redhat 8.0 there's an own rpm -version)

-Go to directory: \usr\local\e2

-Execute the command:

# insmod e2.o

# ifconfig hsb0 up

Wait until the 'USB-light' (on the modem)turns on and the 'ADSL-light' starts blinking

-Execute the command:

# ifconfig hsb0 dynamic

The device gives Linux an IP-address

with this type: 192.168.0.1xx

Check the IP-address with this command:

# ifconfig

-Now you can access the device-management with a www-browser in the address:

Username and password: "admin, password"

This is the installation-How to in english.. Roughly translated..

And to the point.. I did this, exactly as it said. But at the point when the ADSL-light should start blinking, nothing happens.. So I'm kinda stuck there. Should any of those commands give me any response? Because, not one of them gives me anything that says it should work/not work. It's like it would have done nothing at all. And you think this redhat 9.0 driver should work with fedora?

Quote:
And you think this redhat 9.0 driver should work with fedora?

The problem is this: Unless you can find the drivers in a source tarball, (packages ending in .gz or .tgz, bz bz2 etc.) the RPM is the only thing you've got. I would send Telewell an e-mail and tell them your situation, and ask for a solution. If they are supporting their product under Linux, then they *should* certainly know their product now needs to run on Fedora as well if they don't already.

Aah, ok thanks!

I'll do that, send email to them smile

And I'll request the source too, if I can't find it anywhere..

To be continued after their answer x)

Hmm, haven't got an answer from them yet... But when I was browsing that ECI-modem site again I noticed this:

Modem Telewell EA-100B

Photo

not available

Manufacturer : Telewell

Model : EA-100B

VendorID 1 : 0572 (before firmware)

ProductID 1 : cafe (before firmware)

VendorID 2 : 0572 (after firmware)

ProductID 2 : cafe (after firmware)

Provider(s) : ?

VPI.VCI : ?

Synch .bin : ?

Info : Unable to send firmware to modem.

Linux driver here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/accessrunner

It says it's unsupported by their driver, but under "info" it says Linux driver here. So it should work for me?

Tell me what you think, if I should try it or not.

Honestly, that Telewell site appears to be in need of maintainance. I'm afraid that isn't a very good sign. Yes, I would try the new driver you found. While Google-ing I found very little on your modem. You have nothing to lose at this point by trying whatever drivers you find that might work. If Telewell does not answer your requests for support, and you cannot get the modem to work, you may want to consider shopping around for a modem that is known to work with Linux. smile

What type NIC (network interface card) are you using?

Ok, so I'll try it. smile

And my NIC is a "Realtek RTL 8139 Fast Ethernet NIC"

Your Nic should work with no problems under Linux, so you can rule it out if you still can't get connected. smile

Hmpf, I get an error when trying to compile those "conexant accessrunner"-drivers smile

Don't know what goes wrong, but I'll try again..

I'll post the compilation-process here soon.

Hmm, what's wrong? This is what I get when trying to compile the driver..

Do I need to install something more?

Code:
[root@localhost cxacru]# makecd init && make cleanmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/init'rm -f cxload cxioctl cxloaddbg cxloaddbgtmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/init'cd module && make cleanmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/module'rm -f cxacrunormal.o sarlib.o sartest cxacru.o cxacrudebug.o cxacrudbg.o version.hmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/module'cd module2 && make cleanmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/module2'rm -f *.o .*.flags *.ko *.mod.* .*.o.cmd .*.ko.cmdmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/module2'cd sarlib && make cleanmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/sarlib'/bin/rm -f *.omake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/sarlib'cd panel && make cleanmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/panel'rm -f cxpanel *.bakmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/panel'cd bridged && make cleanmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/bridged'rm -f br2684ctlmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/bridged'cd init && make && make installmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/init'gcc -O2 -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=i686 -Wall -DLINUX -I../include -lusb -lpthread cxload.c -o cxloadgcc -O2 -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=i686 -Wall -DLINUX -I../include -lusb -lpthread cxioctl.c -o cxioctlmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/init'make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/init'install -c -m 755 -p cxload cxioctl /usr/sbinmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/init'cd firmware && makemake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/firmware'install -c -m 644 -p cxfirm1.bin cxfirm2.bin cxfirm3.bin cxfirm4.bin cxfirm5.bin /usr/sbinmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/firmware'cd module && make && make installmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/cxacru/module'gcc -O2 -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fno-common -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX  -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include -I../sarlib/  -c cxacru.c -o cxacrunormal.oI fil inkluderad från /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/config.h:4,                 från cxacru.c:53:/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h:1:2: #error Invalid kernel header included in userspaceIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/list.h:6,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/module.h:12,                 from cxacru.c:58:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/processor.h:65: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/processor.h:65: error: requested alignment is not a constantIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/rwsem.h:29,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/semaphore.h:42,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/fs.h:202,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/capability.h:17,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/binfmts.h:4,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/sched.h:10,                 from cxacru.c:60:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/rwsem.h: I funktion `__down_write_trylock':/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/rwsem.h:177: varning: implicit declaration of function `cmpxchg'In file included from cxacru.c:63:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/proc_fs.h: På toppnivå:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/proc_fs.h:213: error: syntaxfel before "void"In file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:53,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/usb.h:139,                 from cxacru.c:68:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/irq.h:65: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/irq.h:65: error: requested alignment is not a constantIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:53,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/usb.h:139,                 from cxacru.c:68:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:17: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:17: error: requested alignment is not a constantIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/usb.h:139,                 from cxacru.c:68:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:136: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:136: error: requested alignment is not a constantIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/net/sock.h:53,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/atmdev.h:211,                 from cxacru.c:79:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/netdevice.h:170: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/netdevice.h:170: error: requested alignment is not a constantIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/net/sock.h:53,                 from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/atmdev.h:211,                 from cxacru.c:79:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/netdevice.h:527: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/netdevice.h:527: error: requested alignment is not a constantIn file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/atmdev.h:211,                 from cxacru.c:79:/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/net/sock.h:750: error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)make[1]: *** [cxacrunormal.o] Error 1make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/cxacru/module'make: *** [CX_MODULE] Error 2[root@localhost cxacru]#

I tried to get the linuxant drivers to work with a conexant modem once and almost went for the Colt 45! What a pain without end..

Hehe wink

Well I think these would work, If I just could get them compiled properly.

That's where my problem lies atm.

Aah, it feels good being able to get online with linux too wink

It was quite a bit to do, and alot to learn in my part, but finally, I got it working!

Thanks for all the advice I got from you Dapper.

I hope it's ok for me to answer him in Finnish? wink

<Finnish>No mihin sulla tyssää? Ja mikä distro sul o? Ja mikä yhteys?

Kerro noi ni pääsen vauhtiin :P</Finnish>

Quote:
I hope it's ok for me to answer him in Finnish? wink

That's fine with me, but don't complain if in the future I answer a post or two in Southern.. wink

fedora core 1 ja sama loota ja millä ajureilla sait toimiin ja miten. mulla tyssäs siihe kun valo ei alkanukkaa toimiin ja ei tunnista laitetta ku yrittää sitä ifconfiggii ja mikäs oli muute sun kernelin versio. eiksmennykki selkeesti

Hi!

I've also a problem with telewell under linux.

I hope you're still listening to this thread.

Probably I'm just to stupid to use pppd.

Now here's the situation:

I've got USB and ATM-Support and installed the recommended ppp-Version from this accessrunner page.

I installed cxacru-Drivers, set protocol-mode to 2 (ppp over atm) and changed the /etc/ppp/options-file according to the documentation (i.e. setting 0.100 as VPI.VCI for dna-internet).

When I start cxstart.sh everything goes fine, the LEDs light or blink as they should. At the end pppd is started.

I had to remove the line "Yam any", because pppd said, it's an unknown option, but now it works. So I have an interface ppp0.

The problem is:

The interface is not connected. I don't have an IP-adress and

no route. With that the "network is unreachable".

In fact there seems to be something missing:

[... cxstart.sh ...]

$ pppd

Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.1/pppoatm.so loaded.

PPPoATM plugin_init

PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options

PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:0.100

$ cat /proc/net/atm/pvc

Itf VPI VCI AAL RX(PCR,Class) TX(PCR,Class)

0 0 100 5 0 UBR 0 UBR

$ cat /proc/net/atm/arp

IPitf TypeEncp Idle IP address ATM address

$

Now, what is missing?

I appreciate any help,

Fabian