Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NT_Worker

The Ultimate security question

There is a physical device that creates a separate partition and records all hard disk changes there, so the machine will revert back to it's original state upon reboot. This will undo *any* change to the hard drive and software.

I was told (by witnesses) there is a way to do this with NT 4.0 workstation with out the need for the physical device.

I would like to know how to accomplish this. In any OS at this point.

Thanks...

I don't know how to do it, but I can verify that it is possible. The computer labs at my school do it every time they boot up

at school we have some kind of file pretector (I think that is the name of it) and when the pc reboots it deletes any changes you made before reboot.

at school we use RM network and that has file protector on it.

In case anyone cares:

Our University machines have their hard drives split into two - one with an image of windows archived on (completely unreadable by the OS) and one with windows on for real. Each time the machine is restarted, it boots from the network, which then runs a program that extracts the image from the archive drive to the main drive completely wiping whatever was there. It then boots windows from the newly cleaned hard drive. This whole process takes about 3 minutes which is why we encourage people to log off rather than shut down.