Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnM

Faster Startup

I figurate out why Win2K is for a minute busy at startup. I found what causes the delay. When the boot is over, everything is loaded and the user is ready to go, Win2K starts the System File Checker. SFC scans all the system files and compares them to their original version which is kept in WINNT\system32\dllcache. If it finds something that it's not the original or an updated version, it restores the original from that directory instead of asking for the CD. This also happens when you are dealing with the files (the sfc runs in the background). Anyway if you delete all the system files that are in the cache the SFC will not scan after startup.

--John

Could JohnM be the new jdulmage?

With posts like this I'm beginning to think so.

Considering I only reboot my box every 2 or 3 weeks, I really don't care how long it takes. The reason I can go that long between reboots is because W2k is so stable, and one of the reasons it is so stable is because of the SFC.

I think I will leave mine alone.

i just hibernate most of the time, so restarts aren't that much of a problem, it doesnt take that long anyway to boot normally