• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Newone

Newone

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2000 - 12:01 AM

Hi I'm the Newone and my first post on the subject NT. So you help would be appreciated in advance.
I bought a second hand "COMPAQ pro workstation, dual cpu, NT 4", I put a modem on it, install netscape and it would not allow me to access the net. I got IE 5, a message asks for "service pack 3" before IE can be installed.
the system is fast I use it to design and so forth but I would like to use to access the net as at the moment I use a different system.
someone said they can fix it for 60.00 and I thought I give this place a try..

#2 nagual

nagual

enthusiast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2000 - 09:03 AM

you need to be a LOT more specifik about your system setup and what kind of errormessages or similar you get

#3 gramaglia

gramaglia

journeyman

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 July 2000 - 10:50 AM

Well, I think first of all you'll have to install Service Pack 6a, it's a collection of bugfixes for Windows NT4. Obviously, if you have no mean to connect to the web (but I think you can, if you wrote this message), you can find it in a magazine that supplies also CDRoms...
Next thing to do, is to INSTALL the modem, and this can be done from the control panel.
Once configured the modem you're done, ok?

#4 nagual

nagual

enthusiast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2000 - 05:07 PM

id wouldnt use sp6a, i heard its quite buggy, id prolly stay with sp5, which i find to be quite satisfactory

#5 DosFreak

DosFreak

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 3885 posts

Posted 25 July 2000 - 10:39 PM

Heard it's quite buggy??!! heh. I've been using it since it first came out (a century ago right? wink ). Worxs fine for me and many MANY others.

#6 Newone

Newone

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2000 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for your replies, I think I'll get the service packs installed, the system is "pentium Pro 200 dual processor" more like a server, but its very fast that the main thing for.
I'll give a try and let you guys know the outcome.

#7 gramaglia

gramaglia

journeyman

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 July 2000 - 01:39 PM

I use a computer like yours here where I work, It's a server with 128 MB of RAM, and it works smoothly with SP6a!

#8 Newone

Newone

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2000 - 03:35 AM

Hi,
I used service pack 6a, it worked I've been connected to the internet with the system. So thanks guys.
One more thing or two, that I need help with.
When I switch on the nt and its loaded there is a massage that says "The DHCP client could not obtain an IP address", I'm still connect to the internet, but what its saying or what should I do.
Next I got sound card anyone knows how to get it enabled?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq