Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FrogMaster

Hibernate and relocation of hiberfil.sys

Does someone knows how to redirect the hiberfil.sys file to another drive?

Win2k is installed on my C: drive. I would like to have the hibernate file on the E: drive which is faster, as I have already done for the pagefile.sys.

I did not find anything in Windows help and there is apparently no particular option in the power management panel.

THX in advance.

I think that the hibernate file is required before the NT kernel is running. Because the NT kernel and associated disk drivers are not loaded yet it must use the BIOS to locate and load this file. Which would explain why the hibernate file MUST be located on the C drive. The BIOS does not know about drive E or any other drive until the system is running. I hope you see my point here.... but I could be wrong.

The old chicken and the egg syndrome.

Regards

Steve Rance

Thx Man.

I came to almost the same conclusion.

When going to hibernation, W2k must write something to the boot sector so that the system does know next time it boots that it has to load hiberfil.sys right into memory instead of loading bits of stuff the regular way.

If this is a part of the very beginning of the boot process, when the bios is interested only by the C: drive, then there is nothing to do, I'm afraid.

When I have some spare time, I'll grab a disk editor and give a look from within Win98 (I have dual boot) to the boot sector and also to the ntloader to do a comparison between having left Win2k with and without hibernation, and see where the command sits, if any.

In my case , the hibernate file is located on my installation drive , i.e. D: or F: depending on my boot choice ( win98 or 2000)

I think one way to move the file is to reinstall Win2000 on the wanted drive, E:, the fastest for you !

------------------

XavierS57

France

I have a problem similar I dual boot with a the E drive as NTFS and C as fat16 my problem is if I try to hybernate it fails to start.. looking on the E drive I can see it has decided to place the Hyber file on there...Do you think this is why it just hangs on bootup after coming out of hybernation...If so how do I get it to use the file on the c drive?????????????????

thanks in advance

john

------------------

brought to you by the "I've got new socks on" boy

I have noticed that a system may not recover and hang at boot up if the hibernation file is fragmented.

You should try to delete the file, defrag and optimize completely E: from within Win98.

This will provide clean and contiguous space for the file next time you hibernate.

The fact that the file sits on E: should not be a problem at all as this has been set up at install time.