Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eddd

Linux Half-Life...

Hi, I'm new to the Linux scene and was just wondering about LHL. I'm about to install Mandrake 9 on a partition alongside WinXP and was just wondering whether or not you think it's worth the hassle of installing HL and CS through WINE, or if I should just run it through WinXP?

I read about some issues with LHL, like no full screen, sound not being right etc, is it worth it?

Thanks and I look forward to posting in the future,

Eddd

I guess that would depend on the amount of time and patience you have on your hands, and how low your bar on acceptable performance is. Since you are playing HL, you might have Q3, UT, or UT2003 as well. All of those can run natively in Linux and have at *least* the same level of performance as in Win2K/XP provided you are running nVidia hardware.

CS works good with Linux, and now you can finally join Internet games without being kicked because of VAC. You need WineX however, and you can get it for free from the CVS tree...check www.transgaming.com for details.

The gameplay is ok, sound is also fine, gamma can be set to a higher value too wink , but you might find it a bit laggy for some reason. I don't know if it's because of the servers I play on, you can still try it.

It worked great for me in Mandrake 9.0 using WineX 2.2-1b RPM, I just couldn't get Op4 to install. I have talked to others too that have it running using the version of Wine that comes with Mandrake.

Wine was developed as a windows emulator and is completely open source if I remember correctly. Winex is a windows emulator with emphasis on emulating directx for those of us who like to play games. Also to get the prepacked files from winex you have to subscribe for $5 a month, otherwise you can download the CVS version for free.

i checked on the CVS version, but am still too new to linux to figure it out, i'm running RedHat 8 (2.4.18-14). Any additional info would be appreciated.

If you want a quicker intro to how CVS works, get the CVS version of GAIM (Linux instant messenger) from their CVS tree. It's *much* nicer than the regular binary/source releases, and can be easily had. You can also sync and update the sources that you have saved, and then upgrade your version. Just make sure that you have "cvs" installed on your system.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/cvs.php

Quote:
It worked great for me in Mandrake 9.0 using WineX 2.2-1b RPM, I just couldn't get Op4 to install. I have talked to others too that have it running using the version of Wine that comes with Mandrake.

i also have mandrake running on my linux-now i got a quick ? for u since u installed cs or half life-where do u install the wines at,because i am very new and i no idea what the papers for installing it means.
if any answers please write me back:
teddy_bear_hugs23@yahoo.com

Regarding Wine, I can't help you with that much, but if you were to install Winex CVS I can help you. Another option is that can either pay for a one year subscription, which is what I did, then you can download all the RPM packages you want from the URL below. It would be easier for you over all. No I am not a sales rep or anything, but because you are a new to linux, it would just be easier for you overall.

http://www.transgaming.com/

What Video card are you running, and do you have the 3D drivers installed yet ?

Having played with both Wine and WineX and many games under both of them I have a little bit to tell on the subject. WineX is a heck of a lot easier to use. Most of the time you dont even have to touch a config. It's just install the rpm and go. Wine on the other hand requires you to setup your config's and your directory paths(unless they've changed it in the last 3 months). WineX also costs $5 a month. If you've got the patience and the know how you can get by with most games using the GL capable version of Wine. I personally have played Half-Life, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, SW Jedi Knight 2:Jedi Outcast, and a couple other games I dont recall, under Wine. All the games listed ran full screen with no bugs and full graphics. They all ran solid. It all depends on what your comfortable with and what your looking to play.

Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the Linux scene and was just wondering about LHL. I'm about to install Mandrake 9 on a partition alongside WinXP and was just wondering whether or not you think it's worth the hassle of installing HL and CS through WINE, or if I should just run it through WinXP?

I read about some issues with LHL, like no full screen, sound not being right etc, is it worth it?

Thanks and I look forward to posting in the future,

Eddd

Mandrake 9.1 with WineX 3.01, and Point2Play 1.01 plays both HL, and Op4, CS, perfectly. For Op4 all you have to do is copy of the rundll32.exe from your existing Windows installation to /home/user/TransGaming_Drive/windows/system32/ folder prior to installing Op4.

well i haven't used half life for linux yet but i do run UT2003 and i ran it on winxp (wich is completly gone from my computer :D) and its performance in linux was much better than in windows. in windows i couldn't even think about running at a res of 1024x768 which is what i run it as in linux.

Sorry for this unbelievably simple question but I'm still really new to this.

I've heard a lot about running games with Wine and WineX but one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. How do you install the games. They're meant for Win systems, so how can it install on Linux? And if they require some Win .dll's, how does that work? A friend of mine was wondering about it too.

EDIT: .dll's come through Wine, right?

*sigh* I'm starting to miss the easily used Windows.

EDIT 2: Apparently installing is done through Wine to a virtual Windows?

It seems that the docs answer a lot of the question that arise, so now I'm wondering if there is any place that has docs for all kinds of applications, their installing/running etc.

EDIT 3: Scratch that. At least the Wine people don't bother telling how to uninstall it. "Just delete the files." Right... I don't need any documentation for that. But I'd like to know more or less exactly which files should be deleted.