Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

What does LMHOSTS lookup do?

And more importantly, should I have it enabled or disabled? I'm running a dual NIC system that and using ICS to my cable modem.

------------------

My Slug.

<------------------>

Abit BE6 II rev 1.2

Celeron 566@850 mhz

13g ide Hdd

SMC NIC 100mb

REALSHIT 8029 NIC 10mb

Riva tnt2u --> ancient

SBlive

256mb ram

HP 9300 CDRW

Windows ME/Windows 2000

<------------------>

LMHOSTS is a file that consists of ip addresses and netbios names.

When you connected to a computer or website, if LMHOSTS is enabled, it will check this file to see if there is an entry for that computer and use the IP address found in this file. If there is no LMHOSTS file it will usually use DNS or WINS.

It really doesn't make any difference if it is enabled or not, because if you don't have the file it will use DNS/WINS.

I must protest, I am quite used to doing battle with Win7 to enable network compatibility so after making all the usual adjustments to the local security settings I was rather stumped when I could not make a computer at work see or interact with my Samba server or several other PCs, sum could be seen but not networked with. Anyway spotted the LMHOST tick box and unticked it - hey presto! works fine now and I have added it to my things to check on Win7 computers.

I must protest, I am quite used to doing battle with Win7 to enable network compatibility so after making all the usual adjustments to the local security settings I was rather stumped when I could not make a computer at work see or interact with my Samba server or several other PCs, sum could be seen but not networked with. Anyway spotted the LMHOST tick box and unticked it - hey presto! works fine now and I have added it to my things to check on Win7 computers.