Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mylam

what is the best Network Router?

hi:

what is the best Network Router out there?

i wanna share my DSL connection, so u need sth fast and soild.

also i need ot to have PPPoE support.

PS: is there some limit to router, like i can receive file or host game on line?

thx for ur input

------------------

I love u without knowing how...or when...or from where...

The best hardware routers are Cisco.. Software routing is probably best done by MS Proxy or Winroute Pro (I think!)..

Do you want hardware or software?

Regards

Kristian Dorey AMIAP CNA CWD

Yes Cisco have great routers, but not worth getting for home users. Brutally expensive and not supported for Win 2000.

There is a perfect router for your needs and it is worth every inexpensive penny.

Pick up the Linksys cable/dsl router. it supports connection by PPPoE and has a built in 4 or 8 port fast ethernet switch as well as providing DHCP for your network.

I've been using mine with PPPoE dsl and it connects very fast to the servers and avoids using crappy connection programs provided by your ISP, like Enternet 300. check out www.bestbuy.com for a good price on it.

The Linksys unit is a pretty good deal ($149 US after rebate at Bestbuy). It IS a cheap router as in it's quite limited in some aspects, but this thing works quite well. I got spoiled with my Eicon Diva LAN unit for ISDN, but I'll take the 240KB/s d/ls on this thing anyday over the lost features...

wink

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I too have the linksys DSL/router and I love it. It is limited in some areas but for my small netwrok it is fantastic. They have also just come out with a version with an 8 port switch on it. I think I will upgrade my 4 port with the 8 port version.

LinkSys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router. Has 4-Port 10/100 Switch & Firewall. laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

The LinkSys Cable/DSL router is very good, especially for the price. But don't be fooled by that free 24 hour tech support sticker on the front. Their tech support is practically nonexistent. And you'll never hear back from them. Of course, you probably shouldn't need to use it anyway.