Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aegeas

Multilink DSL accounts? Two lines in same network?

Okay guys. Here is a cool topic and an interesting issue. We will shortly have 2 Adsl lines coming into the same office. Is there a concentrator or router that can aggregate 2 DSL lines into one Pipeline?

Unless we can multilink the DSL lines we will wind up with 2 private IP groups. Each behind a DSL router that is issuing DHCP addresses to their own group. Can we put a link between the two groups that will not cause DHCP and gateway confusion? Someone has to have tried this...

I would like to know the answer to this one too. The local phone company is giving me another dsl line (I work on their computers and help test new stuff) and I was wondering just how I was going to play with it.

Okay. I have an answer. Netopia's 6161 router can aggregate xDSL lines providing that the ISp you are connecting to supports multilink PPP. Pretty cool huh? You could effectively have 768/3.0Mbps from 2 ADSL lines for 100.00 per month. Blow me away. Better than a T-1 down and most of it up for 1/10th the price.

As for integrating the two network I still haven't got an answer yet. Anyone have any ideas how it's going to behave? My current theory is that since they are routers that they are going to only try to assign DHCP addresses to those clients directly behind them, and that providing I have each router assigning a different series of IPs there shouldn't be a problem.

One of you network freaks has to have tried this. Drop me an email if you have.